Effective Job Searching For Your Next Career
The job market is making a comeback, although it is a slow one with many stumbles along the way. For those of you who are out there hunting what are you doing? We have a couple basic tips to keep your search going.
1 - Resume: This is the cover of your book and it needs to look good, remember first impressions are important
- Be sure to customize your resume to the job you are going for
- Try to be as concise as possible; if the page is full, an employer may skip it
- Always get a second opinion to help you get those last few errors
2 - Network: The number one way people find jobs is through networking.
- LinkedIn is a great way to professionally connect with people online
- Craigslist not only has jobs postings but a community section that lists other opportunities
- Monster.com is a perennial favorite for finding jobs online
3 - Goals: So you have filled out 100 applications already, how many are you doing today? It is all about keeping yourself motivated. This is easier when you engage in a variety of activities so go to job fairs, apply online, and stop into opportunities for a face-to-face visit.
Job-hunting is rarely a happy time, but hopefully you can get through it quickly and without being too stressed out. Remember to use all the resources at your disposal and be yourself!