Refresh Your Resume | Career Building Success
Constructing a resume to stand out is essential to landing the right job
. Many people leave their resume out of date or simply leave out some key highlights. All of this can be avoided with some simple precautions and updates.
- Be concise and to the point - Lengthy resumes going into detail about your accomplishments is not particularly a good idea. Keep it short and stick to the point. It is best to keep a resume at one to two pages
- Easy to read - Double check to make sure that your resume is easy to read and that you use bullet points, capital letters, bolding and the proper margins and spacing.
- Eliminate irrelevant information - Any information that is not related to your career goals should be eliminated from your resume
- Key sections to include - Depending on your career field, the order of sections in your resume may be different. Here are some sections that should not be left out: summary, major achievements, employment history, education, and training. Optional attributes to put on a resume include language skills, certifications, software that you may be familiar with or any other accomplishments you feel should be included
- Grammar - Make sure your resume is error free. Have someone proof read your resume a couple of times
- Action Verbs - Action verbs tend to stand out more to employers. Also, try to avoid pronouns
It is a tough job market but hopefully something like a simple tweak to a resume can be the difference in landing that interview or job. Good luck!