Make Your Contribution on Earth Day and Everyday!
Earth Day is this Sunday, April 22, 2012. Every year on Earth Day, events are held worldwide to increase awareness and appreciation of the Earth’s natural environment. Earth Day is coordinated globally by Earth Day Network and is celebrated in more than 175 countries by the united voices of more than one billion people.
Renewable Energy for All and a sustainable future for our planet are incumbent upon each and every one of us to step in and participate in any way that we can big and small. The Earth Day movement is comprised of individuals of every age from all corners of the Earth, and calls upon local, national, and international leaders to put an end to fossil fuel subsidies, embrace renewable energy technology, improve energy efficiency, and make energy universally accessible.
Here are some eco-friendly activities you can do this Earth Day and every day:
- Recycle. It’s easy and it’s free and it’s a major contributor to the solution of global garbage
- Leave the car in your driveway. Walk to work, to the store and around the block instead of getting in your car. Or opt to take the bus instead and enjoy the time reading a book or magazine
- Earn green, save green, be green when you sign up for My Green Checking at Standard Bank
- Start a spring garden. You save money on food. Reduced trips to the store saves on gas and pollution. And fresh foods contain more vitamins and nutrients your body needs
- Reduce your disposable waste. Enrich your garden soil by composting. Limit the items that you actually throw away (i.e. paper plates, plastic)
- Try some new green cleaning products. Check the label to make sure they are “green”. You can also create your own homemade cleaning products
- Host a family swap meet. Repurpose your old things instead of throwing them away
- Go Green by giving to charity. Local charities need clothes in good condition. Donate books, furniture, computers and more. It’s tax deductible too
- Sign up for e-Statements at Standard Bank if you haven’t already. It reduces paper waste. Your statements won’t get lost in the mail. You can access them anytime you choose. It’s a fast, convenient, secure and eco-friendly way to get your statements
This Earth Day, find one simple way to do your part to be green.
To stay up to date on our financial services subscribe to the Standard Bank Blog and click here to like us on Facebook.